Twenty Five years ago today
1985 - The National Wrestling Alliance and American Wrestling Association hold their third joint-promoted "NWA/AWA Star Wars" event at the Brendan Byrne Arena in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The results:
- Ron Bass defeated J.J. Dillon.
- NWA World Midgets' Champion Little Tokyo defeated Cowboy Lang to retain the title.
- AWA World Women's Champion Sherri Martel defeated Debbie Combs to retain the title.
- Jake Roberts defeated Paul Ellering by disqualification.
- NWA World Tag Team Champions The Rock 'n' Roll Express (Robert Gibson and Ricky Morton) defeated The Long Riders (Bill and Scott Irwin) to retain the title.
- Sgt. Slaughter defeated Chris Markoff and Boris Zhukov in a handicap match.
- NWA United States Heavyweight Champion Magnum T.A. defeated Tully Blanchard to retain the title.
- NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair defeated Dusty Rhodes by disqualification to retain the title.
- The Road Warriors (Animal and Hawk) defeated Ivan Koloff and Krusher Khruschev.
Match of the Day
- Stan Hansen defeated AWA World Heavyweight Champion Rick Martel by submission to win the title. Hansen had Martel in the Brazos Valley Backbreaker (Boston Crab) and when Martel would try to power out of it, Hansen would press his head against the middle turnbuckle to keep the hold on. Martel eventually submitted.