Today in wrestling history is dominated by World Class Championship wrestling and their "Christmas Day Star Wars" Card.
But lets start way back first:
1965 - In Indianapolis, Indiana, Dick the Bruiser defeats Gene Kiniski for the World Wrestling Association World Heavyweight Title, beginning his third reign. Also, Moose Cholak and Wilbur Snyder defeat The Assassins (Guy Mitchell and Joe Tomasso) to win the WWA World Tag Team Title.
1978 - Bill Watts' Mid-South Wrestling held a "Superdome Extravaganza" in New Orleans, Louisiana at the Superdome, headlined by a tournament for the United States Tag Team Title. Here are the results of the show:
- Jim Shields defeated Bill Irwin.
- Karl Von Krupp defeated Bob Markus.
- Jerry Stubbs defeated The Assassin #1 to win the Mid-South Louisiana Title.
- Ron Bass defeated Karl Kox to win the Mid-South Brass Knuckles Title.
- Ernie Ladd defeated Ray Candy via forfeit to win the Mid-South North American Title.
United States Tag Team Title Tournament: Round One
- Jack & Jerry Brisco defeated Terry Latham & Ricky Fields.
- Ernie Ladd & Stan Hansen defeated The Angel & Gama Singh.
- Wahoo McDaniel & Jim Shields defeated The Assassins.
- Bobby Jaggers & Jerry Brown defeated Randy Tyler & Mike George.
- Andre The Giant & Dusty Rhodes defeated Rob Bass & Ron Slinker. Andre & Rhodes received a bye into the semifinals.
United States Tag Team Title Tournament: Quarterfinals
- Ernie Ladd & Stan Hansen defeated Jack & Jerry Brisco. Ladd & Hansen received a bye into the finals.
- Bobby Jaggers & Jerry Brown defeated Wahoo McDaniel & Jim Shields.
United States Tag Team Title Tournament: Semifinals
- Andre The Giant & Dusty Rhodes defeated Bobby Jaggers & Jerry Brown.
United States Tag Team Title Tournament: Quarterfinals
- Andre The Giant & Dusty Rhodes defeated Ernie Ladd & Stan Hansen to win the tournament and the U.S. Tag Team Title. Danny Hodge was the special referee.
1979 - Jack and Jerry Brisco defeat Austin Idol and The Masked Superstar to win the NWA Georgia Tag Team Title.
1981 - At World Class Championship Wrestling's "Christmas Star Wars" in Dallas, Texas, Jose Lothario defeats Ernie Ladd in Dallas, Texas to win the NWA Texas Brass Knuckles Title for the third time. Also, Tiny Tom defeats Little Tokyo to win the NWA World Midgets' Title, ending Tokyo's second reign.
982 - World Class Championship Wrestling holds the first "Christmas Star Wars" event at Reunion Arena in Dallas, Texas, drawing a crowd of 18,000 fans (and a Texas record gate at the time) for a show that featured one of the most famous heel turns of all time, a turn that sparked arguably the greatest feud in Texas wrestling history, the Von Erichs vs. The Fabulous Freebirds. Here are the results from the show:
- Brian Adias defeated Frank Dusek.
- Jose Lothario & Al Madril defeated Magic Dragon & Checkmate.
- Lone Eagle defeated Little Tokyo.
- World Class American Champion Kevin Von Erich defeated King Kong Bundy via DQ.
- World Class Texas Champion David Von Erich defeated Bill Irwin.
- Ken Mantel won a Battle Royal.
- Michael Hayes, Terry Gordy & David Von Erich (subbing for Buddy Roberts) defeated Tom Steele, Mike & Tommy Sharpe to become the first World Class Six-Man Tag Team Champions. After the match, David gave his share of the title to Roberts, since he was the third member of the Freebirds.
- NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair defeated Kerry Von Erich in a No Disqualification Steel Cage match in which Michael Hayes was the referee. Leading up to the match, World Class had run a storyline where, due to past controversial decisions in Flair title matches, there was a dispute as to who the referee would be. It was decided that Hayes, rather than usual officials David Manning or Bronco Lubich, would be "tough but fair" and able to keep control in the match. During the match, Von Erich and Flair got knocked out, and Hayes dragged Kerry on top of Flair and counted to three. However, Von Erich refused to accept the victory, and gave the match to Flair. Hayes screamed at Von Erich, calling him an "idiot" and as Kerry exited the cage, Terry Gordy slammed the door on Von Erich's head, sparking off the Freebird heel turn and the beginning of the legendary feud with the Von Erichs.
1983 - Magnum T.A. & Mr. Wrestling II defeat Butch Reed & Jim Neidhart to win the Mid-South Wrestling Association Tag Team Title in New Orleans, Louisiana.
1983 - World Class Championship Wrestling held their "Christmas Star Wars" card at Reunion Arena in Dallas, Texas, drawing over 19,000 fans. Here are the results:
- The Missing Link defeated Johnny Mantell.
- Iceman Parsons & Brian Adias defeated The Super Destroyers to win the World Class American Tag Team Title.
- Kerry Von Erich defeated Kamala via DQ.
- Mike Reed defeated The Mongol.
- David Von Erich defeated NWA World Champion Ric Flair via DQ.
- Jose Lothario defeated Black Gordman.
- Kevin & Mike Von Erich defeated Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts in a No DQ Loser Leaves Town match when Kevin pinned Gordy.
- Jimmy Garvin defeated Chris Adams to win the World Class American Title.
1984 - World Class Championship Wrestling held their "Christmas Star Wars" event at Reunion Arena in Dallas, Texas, drawing over 17,000 fans. Here are the results:
- Kelly Kiniski defeated Buck Zumhoffe.
- Rip Oliver defeated Iceman Parsons.
- Jose Lothario defeated El Diablo Grande.
- World Class American Tag Team Champions The Fantastics defeated The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton & Dennis Condrey).
- Kerry Von Erich defeated NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair via DQ.
- Kevin Von Erich defeated Chris Adams in a Lumberjack match.
- Terry Gordy, Buddy Roberts & Chic Donovan defeated Skandar Akbar, The Missing Link & Mr. X in a Loser Leaves Town elimination match. This was done like a battle royal, and Terry Gordy ended up as the sole survivor (and didn't have to leave town).
- Mike Von Erich & Billy Jack Haynes defeated Gino Hernandez & Jake Roberts.
1985 - World Class Championship Wrestling held their "Christmas Star Wars" event at Reunion Arena in Dallas, Texas, drawing over 8,000 fans. Here are the results:
- John Mantell defeated Tommy Montana.
- Iceman Parsons & Brian Adias defeated The Great Kabuki & The Grappler.
- Tatsumi Fujinami defeated Jose Lothario.
- Lance Von Erich defeated World Class American Champion Rick Rude via DQ.
- Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts defeated Mark Youngblood & Dave Peterson.
- The Missing Link defeated Jack Victory.
- Kerry & Kevin Von Erich defeated World Class American Tag Team Champions Chris Adams & Gino Hernandez via DQ.
- Scott Casey & Sunshine defeated John Tatum & Missy Hyatt.
- IWGP Champion Antonio Inoki defeated Steve Williams.
- Bruiser Brody defeated One Man Gang in a chain match.
- Kerry, Kevin & Lance Von Erich defeated The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael Hayes, Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts).
1986 - AWA holds their "Brawl In St. Paul" event at the St. Paul Civic Center in St. Paul, Minnesota, drawing over 8,000 fans. Here are the results:
- Buck Zumhoffe vs. Buddy Wolfe went to a time limit draw.
- Earthquake Ferris defeated Brian Knobbs.
- Steve O defeated Boris Zuhkov.
- Greg Gagne, Scott Hall & Leon White (Vader) defeated Larry Zbyszko, Mr. Saito & Super Ninja.
- Jimmy Snuka defeated Col. DeBeers via countout.
- AWA World Heavyweight Champion Nick Bockwinkel defeated Curt Hennig via disqualification.
- The Midnight Rockers (Shawn Michaels & Marty Janetty) defeated Buddy Rose & Doug Somers in a steel cage match.
1986 - World Class Championship Wrestling held their "Christmas Star Wars" event at Reunion Arena in Dallas, Texas, drawing over 7,000 fans. Here are the results:
- Mark Youngblood defeated Tim Brooks.
- Steve Simpson defeated The Grappler.
- Lance Von Erich defeated Master Gee (George Wells).
- Dingo Warrior (Ultimate Warrior) vs. Bob Bradley ended in a double DQ.
- Candie Divine defeated Lock.
- Tony Atlas defeated Matt Borne.
- Scott Casey defeated Black Bart in a Loser Rides A Mule match.
- Kevin & Mike Von Erich defeated World Class Tag Team Champions Brian Adias & Al Madril via DQ.
- Abdullah the Butcher defeated Bruiser Brody in a Loser Leaves Town Steel Cage match.
1987 - World Class Championship Wrestling held their "Christmas Star Wars" event at Reunion Arena in Dallas, Texas, drawing over 4,000 fans. The show was headlined by three steel cage matches, and one of the more distasteful angles in wrestling history. Here are the results:
- The Missing Link defeated Vince Apollo.
- The Real Thing (Rip Morgan) defeated Jason Sterling.
- Brian Adias vs. Bill Irwin ended in a double countout.
- The Fantastics defeated Jack Victory & John Tatum.
- Kerry Von Erich won a Pole Battle Royal, climbing a pole to grab the $10,000 prize.
- World Class Texas Champion Matt Borne defeated The Iron Sheik.
- Jeff Raitz defeated Tony Falk.
- Eric Embry defeated Shaun Simpson in a Steel Cage match to win the World Class Light Heavyweight Title.
- Kevin Von Erich, Chris Adams & Steve Simpson defeated Terry Gordy, Buddy Roberts & Iceman Parsons in a Steel Cage match to win the vacant World Class Six Man Tag Team Title.
- World Class Champion Al Perez defeated Kerry Von Erich in a steel cage match. Prior to the match, Fritz Von Erich was attacked by a group of heels and faked a heart attack in the ring. Legitimate news media fell for the act, and reported on his "heart attack" as being real. For the next several weeks, Fritz' "condition" would get better or worse depending on how well the shows were drawing, as his sons promised to get revenge for what had happened to their father.
1991 - Wilbur Snyder passes away in Pompano Beach, Florida at age 62.