Tuesday, February 22, 2011
Today in 1998 - WCW held its eighth-annual SuperBrawl pay-per-view event before 12,620 fans at the Cow Palace in San Francisco, California. The show got a 1.1 buyrate, the highest ever for a SuperBrawl at that point, and the results were:
- In a dark match, Ultimo Dragon pinned Shiryu (Kaz Hayashi) (with Sonny Onoo).
- Booker T pinned WCW World Television Champion Rick Martel after the Harlem Sidekick to win the title, beginning his second reign.
- WCW World Television Champion Booker T pinned Saturn after the Harlem Sidekick to retain the title.
- Disco Inferno pinned La Parka after the Chart Buster.
- Goldberg pinned Brad Armstrong after the Jackhammer.
- WCW Cruiserweight Champion Chris Jericho defeated Juventud Guerrera by submission with the Liontamer to retain the title, and win Juventud's mask.
- The British Bulldog defeated Steve McMichael by submission with an armbar.
- WCW United States Heavyweight Champion Diamond Dallas Page pinned Chris Benoit after a Diamond Cutter to retain the title.
- Lex Luger defeated Randy Savage (with Elizabeth) by submission with the Torture Rack.
- The Outsiders (Scott Hall and Kevin Nash (with Dusty Rhodes)) defeated WCW World Tag Team Champions The Steiner Brothers (Rick and Scott) with Ted DiBiase)) to win the title, when Hall pinned Rick after the Outsider's Edge. This took place after Scott Steiner turned on his brother, joining the nWo. This ended the Steiners' sixth and final reign and began the Outsiders' third.
- Sting pinned Hollywood Hulk Hogan after Randy Savage hit Hogan with a can of spray-paint to win the vacant WCW World Heavyweight Title. This began Sting's fourth reign. After the match, Sting spray-painted "WCW" on Hogan, and J.J. Dillon gave Sting the title belt. The WCW World Heavyweight Title had been held-up since January 8, following a controversial ending of Hogan and Sting's match at December's Starrcade.