Today in 1986 the NWA(WCW) held its annual Starrcade PPV. It was held at 2 different cities, Greensboro NC and Atlanta GA.
It was almost a thrown together main event of World Champion Ric Flair defending the NWA World Heavyweight title against the Russian Nightmare Nikita Koloff.
On October 14th of 1986 the #1 contender and soon to be World Champion Magnum T.A. was involved in a one car accident in Charlotte NC that left him severely injured and unable to wrestle in the Starrcade main event. The injuries Magnum suffered were so severe that they would end his wrestling career. NWA promoter Jim Crockett would turn Nikita Koloff from hated Russian into a beloved hero to face Ric Flair in Magnum's place.
The co-main event would be the first ever (for the NWA and PPVs) scaffold match featuring the Road Warriors w/Paul Ellering against The Midnight Express w/Jim Cornette, thus giving the title "Night of the Skywalkers" to the PPV.
Here is the complete card from 1986
Starrcade (1986): Night of the Skywalkers
- Tim Horner and Nelson Royal defeated Don and Rocky Kernodle
- Hector Guerrero and Baron Von Raschke defeated Shaska Whatley and The Barbarian
- Wahoo McDaniel defeated Rick Rude (with Paul Jones) in an Indian Strap match
- Jimmy Valiant (with Big Mama) defeated Paul Jones in a Hair versus Hair match with Manny Fernandez locked in a cage
- Tully Blanchard (with James J. Dillon) defeated Dusty Rhodes in a First Blood match to win the NWA World Television Championship
- The Rock 'n' Roll Express defeated Ole Anderson and Arn Anderson in a Steel Cage match to retain the NWA World Tag Team Championship
- Brad Armstrong fought Jimmy Garvin (with Precious) to a draw
- The Russians (Krusher Khruschev and Ivan Koloff) defeated The Kansas Jayhawks (Bobby Jaggers and Dutch Mantel) in a No Disqualification Match to retain the NWA United States Tag Team Championship
- Sam Houston defeated Bill Dundee by DQ to retain the NWA Central States Heavyweight Championship
- Big Bubba Rogers (with Jim Cornette) defeated Ron Garvin in a Street Fight
- Jim Cornette was injured in the match when he landed wrong after falling from the underside of the scaffold.
- NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair and NWA United States Champion Nikita Koloff wrestled to a double disqualification.