The Great American Bash 1991
July 14th 1991
This was the poster for the PPV that wasnt. Two weeks before the scheduled event, the WCW World Champion Ric Flair was fired by WCW's Jim Herd. This left a void that was filled by a cage match between then US Champion Lex Luger against Barry Windham for the vacant WCW World Title.
see full results below
- Dark match: The Junkyard Dog defeated Black Bart (12:45)
- JYD pinned Bart.
- P.N. News and Bobby Eaton defeated Steve Austin and Terrance Taylor (with Lady Blossom) in a Capture-The-Flag Scaffold match (6:19)
- Eaton grabbed Austin/Taylor's flag to win.
- This stipulation was added the day of the show, as the match was intended to be a traditional scaffold match.
- The Diamond Studd (with Diamond Dallas Page) defeated Tom Zenk (9:00)
- Studd pinned Zenk after a bridging belly-to-back suplex.
- Ron Simmons defeated Oz (with Merlin the Wizard) (7:55)
- Simmons pinned Oz after a shoulderblock.
- Richard Morton (with Alexandra York) defeated Robert Gibson (17:03)
- Morton pinned Gibson after hitting him with York's laptop computer while referee Bill Alfonso had his back turned.
- The Yellow Dog defeated Johnny B. Badd (with Teddy Long) by disqualification (6:00)
- Badd was disqualified when Long interfered to try to unmask the Dog; had he done so, Brian Pillman (who was wrestling under the mask) would not be allowed to wrestle in WCW again.
- Big Josh defeated Black Blood (with Kevin Sullivan) in a Lumberjack match (5:39)
- Josh pinned Black Blood after Dustin Rhodes hit Blood with an axe.
- Dustin Rhodes and The Southern Boys (Tracy Smothers and Steve Armstrong) defeated The Fabulous Freebirds (Badstreet, Jimmy Garvin, Michael Hayes) (with Big Daddy Dink) in an Elimination match (17:10)
- Hayes pinned Armstrong after he and Badstreet hit a double DDT on Armstrong (13:49)
- Hayes was disqualified after backdropping Smothers over the top rope (14:04)
- Garvin pinned Smothers after he and Badstreet hit a double DDT on Smothers (15:16)
- Rhodes pinned Garvin after a lariat (15:24)
- Rhodes pinned Badstreet after a bulldog to win the match (17:10)
- El Gigante (with a gaggle of midgets) defeated One Man Gang (with Kevin Sullivan) (6:13)
- Gigante pinned One Man Gang with a clothesline to the back of the head.
- Nikita Koloff defeated Sting in a Russian Chain match (11:38)
- Koloff won by touching the final turnbuckle before Sting could.
- WCW United States Champion Lex Luger defeated Barry Windham in a Steel Cage match to win the vacant WCW World Heavyweight Championship (12:25)
- Rick Steiner defeated Arn Anderson and Paul E. Dangerously in a handicap steel cage match (2:08)
- Steiner pinned Dangerously after a Steiner Line.
- The match was originally supposed to pit The Steiner Brothers and Missy Hyatt against Anderson, Dangerously, and Barry Windham, but plans changed after Flair's firing and Scott Steiner suffering an injury; Windham was moved to the title match against Luger and the match became a standard tag match.
- Before the match Dick Murdoch and Dick Slater forcibly took Hyatt backstage, turning the match into a handicap match.